Worship Leading and the Drummer

This is a message I posted from the FeverDream forum. A joke of mine sparked a discussion of some current trends in the Praise and Worship, um, "industry," and this was part of my contribution to the conversation.

The worship leader is just that. He is the shepherd. It's my job to lead the congregation's singing rhythmically. This means that I'm to serve them by playing in such a way that the lyrics they are singing fall easily into place. I "point" to where they go, if you will. Additionally, my own creativity comes into play when I highlight or augment particular words or phrases with either a dynamic turn or some rhythmic move that draws especial attention to them, or when I do the same to an instrumental passage with the intention of creating a rhythmic "tension" which will resolve when the congregation comes in to sing again.

In all these things, the worst possible thing I can do is try to draw attention to myself. I can very easily play things that will make people take notice of my abilities or creativity. I can very easily take the drum part to some (to me) way more interesting and expressive places. I shouldn't do that. My personality comes to bear in the way that I lead, not in the way that I try to insert things into the performance because I think they'd be cool.

In short, you're performing no matter what. It is the orientation of the performance that is key. Am I trying to entertain the man in the pew or am I trying to lead his words to the Lord in union with the Church? Am I as part of the diversity in the congregation attempting to impose unity (thereby reflecting the Trinity fully) or am I trying to stay diverse? Am I asserting by my actions that my individuality is ultimate (or the reverse which is also an error) or that unity and diversity are both equally ultimate in God?

1 comment:

Beckye said...

This is really good, Johnny. I asked Jonathan to forward this to a young worship leader we know (not that he needs it; just for good input and edification).

When I was on a worship team as a vocalist years ago, I saw part of my job as to actually WORSHIP to help draw others to worship. Years ago I remember looking at the worship team and seeing a woman who was obviously enjoying the presence of the Lord, and I thought, "What am I doing wasting my time HERE when I could be THERE (worshipping in His presence)?!" and immediately entered in.

I appreciate your encouragements here, as one of my pet peeves is when I'm so enjoying the Lord's presence and worshipping Him and some lame musician goes into a solo interlude that completely distracts me from the Lord. :( Somehow I don't think that is what they are there for -- to get glory and attention for themselves. If they are, they need to do it somewhere else!

Anyway, thanks for posting this.