A Postmillennial Advent

Jenni and I try to keep a proper Advent each year. We put up the tree on the first Sunday and leave it bare until we return home from Church on Christmas Eve, then decorate it and leave it up from Christmas Day until Epiphany.

Advent is traditionally a penitential season in which we remember the time of preparation before our Lord's first Advent, and also think to how we are doing as we labor before His Second Coming.

Well, I think it is theologically sound, given my view of the progressive spread of the Kingdom in history, to make the Advent season a time of growing beauty until the Lord comes on Christmas Day. So, this week, the tree went up. Next, we will light it. Then our purple glass ornaments, followed by the silver ones. Finally on Christmas Eve the Lord will come as the Pantokrator icon I top the tree with will go up, and all the other ornaments will joyfully meet Him as He arrives.

HT: This actually started as a joke by my friend Frank.

2 comments:

jenni said...

I love how you think!

Tony Java said...

Very cool. I like the idea of purple. Is it a traditional color of advent as it is during lent?
Either way your (and Jenni)anticipation for such a day is inspiring