Revivalism, pt. 1

1. God is to be worshiped on His own terms, and the "success" of a worship service is to be measured by how He is glorified according to those terms.

2. The Bible reveals that Christians can offer both "acceptable" and "unacceptable" worship. It defines both.

3. Worship is not an individual encounter with God.

4. The emotional response of an individual worshiper is not always a determining factor of the acceptability of his worship.

5. It is therefore not a worthwhile goal in planning a worship service.

6. This does not mean that emotional investment by the congregation is not a consideration.

7. We must seek to lead the congregation in involving/investing their emotions in a healthy, Biblically proper way.

8 comments:

Tony Java said...

This should be posted in every 'green room' of every church.

KaleoBill said...

Great line of thinking, Johnny. This has been the beauty of liturgy for me - it allows us to escape our own personal emotional state, whatever it happens to be at the time. When I am simply not "feeling" it, I'm able to borrow the words of those who have gone before me and worship just as fully as the days when I am "feeling it".

I need to buy you lunch soon - would love to talk more about this, particularly in light of all of the worship leading you get to see in the broader evangelical world...

Johnny! said...

That would be great. Or maybe hook up with Doug+ and me at Antidote? We meet there a lot.

KaleoBill said...

I'm always up for hanging out with Father Doug. :) I'll touch base with you guys once my now-8-days-late baby decides to be born. Looking forward to it!

Johnny! said...

Jumping jacks?

sh said...

ROCK!!

sh said...

"...being affected emotionally is not the same thing as being changed morally. Enjoying a creative chord progression isn’t the same thing as delighting in the glory of Christ. God in his mercy can use music to amplify and complement our delight in Christ, but they aren’t the same thing." - Bob Kauflin

from:

http://www.worshipmatters.com/2010/04/29/reflections-on-leading-at-together-for-the-gospel-2010/

Anonymous said...

The series summed up why I left the Baptist church.