"Engaging" Cutlure

It's cool among Christians to talk of engaging culture, engaging with culture, etc. I want to start looking at that.

I want to ask, "Are we at a place where we can?" while acknowledging that it really doesn't matter if we are, because it's something we have to do anyway.

But first, what do we mean? "Engaging" can mean "taking part in," or it can mean "taking on." Both are inescapable but in our day, the latter is to be primary. We live in a time in which the prevailing culture is flowing from from a cultus of paganism. Though we still ride the momentum of Christendom's wave, that is not what is driving society these days.

That means we are "engaging" in a struggle over who determines the direction of culture, because someone is going to.

Part of the reason I believe Christians in our land are not prepared for this fight is because we don't even all agree that there is a fight. Many do not believe that it is up to Christians to set the cultural course.

Part of what I see my life's work as is to do my small part to convince those in my small circle that we are called to exercise cultural dominion. Or, at the very least, begin to lay a foundation for a generation that can.

2 comments:

sh said...

"Part of what I see my life's work as is to do my small part to convince those in my small circle that we are called to exercise cultural dominion. Or, at the very least, begin to lay a foundation for a generation that can."

YES!!!

Doug said...

"Or, at the very least, begin to lay a foundation for a generation that can."

"'Hear! Hear!' said the corpulent New Yorker with one eye." Terrific post. Love it! It's going to take a Medieval mentality, one that prompts us to lay the foundation for a cathedral we will never see. Think David MacCaulay http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=2212245
BTW, James Davidson Hunter has an interesting piece in CT this month on changing culture.
AFAC http://holytrinityrec.org/AFAC/