Circus Worship

There's a joke my friend Aric and I have had for years. We like to turn songs into circus polkas, usually during rehearsal. Another joke I shared with several friends is playing worship music in a minor key.

Once I combined the two under the fake band name Minor Prophets, using my friend Ross King's "You Alone Can Satisfy." Enjoy.



So, why is this funny? It's because we all understand how absurd these elements would be in the context of a worship service. The irreverence of the thing is self-evident. That musical style isn't for that.

Okay…

So this weekend, Big Worship Conference™ is happening, and the current trend in worship music is electronic dance music (EDM). Lotsa young people will be jumping around to worshippy "untz" grooves, and as a result, I'll be playing them in Churches over the next year.

I'll be watching either the jumping or sheep-in-the-headlights not singing, if this year's experience mirrors the last.

Why?

Isn't it obvious? We're trying to get people to stand and sing to music not made for that. We're using it for a purpose--the reverent worship of Almighty God--for which it's not suited. It's dance music. It's not made to convey reverence, and reverence is what God says makes worship acceptable to him.

No comments: