My Drum Teacher



Mr. Mike Lefebvre, my teacher, passed away this morning.

I met Mike back in college. Though I had been in band all through school, I really did not know too much about playing the drumset. I knew nothing about jazz. I was very fortunate to get to study with Mr. Joel Fulgham, who pretty much overwhelmed me with a world of information I had no idea existed. Joel left my school the next semester, and Mike took his position. Over the next several years he would pour his knowledge into me and teach me how to be a drummer, musician, teacher, and gentleman.

He never settled for less than the very best from me. He wouldn't tolerate laziness. He saw in me both the desire and the potential to make drumming my vocation, and he made sure I was equipped with all that I would need. Whatever I have managed to become as a drummer and a teacher is almost entirely the result of his kindness to me. I will spend the rest of my career struggling to become worthy of his legacy.

The Lord in His providence placed Mike Lefebvre in my path, and I am forever grateful. Most of all, though, much more than any gain I have taken from that relationship, I am grateful that the Lord made Himself known to my teacher, and in His mercy, called him out of darkness and into His marvelous light.

1 comment:

Robert said...

Awesome post!