Waterboarding

This came up on a friend's Facebook page, but I don't want to be a comments-monopolizer so I'll post my thoughts here.

If someone can make a Biblical defense of waterboarding, I'd like to read it. I can't imagine how that could be done.

There are two defenses of this procedure that I have heard. The first is that it doesn't really endanger or harm the recipient, and is therefore not torture. The second is that it has produced the desired results, and saved American lives.

Regarding the first point, does it matter if no real harm is done? You're inflicting torment on a guy to make him talk. He's suffering as if he were drowning. That's torture. If the practice is Biblically justifiable, then don't be a wuss and call it what it is and do it. If it is not justifiable, don't do it, ever.

The second point is simply the ends justifying the means. That trick never works. If God forbids this sort of thing, then obedience to Him is not going to result in disaster, and disobedience to Him cannot result in anything but disaster. Let those of us who are Calvinists think Calviny thoughts: God is sovereign.

I'm open to having my mind changed. To the Law and to the Testimony! Someone persuade me.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have no problem with torture from a Biblical point of view. I see it as discipline or punishment. If it can be done without permanent damage, then awesome.

Johnny! said...

What crime is being punished?

Dave said...

I don't think those who have been water boarded would fall under criminal status. The only ones I have heard of were enemies of the US by participating on the battlefield or planning of attacks against the civilian population of the US. That would qualify them for death, so I don't think water boarding them before death is a problem.

Anonymous said...

if we'd just kill them then we wouldn't have to torture them. secure the borders. deport the bad guys. kill the enemy. done.

rk said...

i have to agree with johnny on this one. the bigge problem for me is that i just can't imagine how someone follows Jesus while doing any kind of soldeiring and/or Jack Bauer-esque kind of work. I know it's possible to be a "soldier for Jesus," (at least in was during the Old Testament, and arguably in the New as well), but I'm just saying it's a conundrum for me. good post Johnny.

rk said...

also, excuse the typos. I'm on pain meds today. i should probably stay away from blogs.